Saturday, March 12, 2005

The Faraway Tree - Enid Blyton

When I was little my favourite collection was Enid Blyton's 'The Faraway Tree'. I am not sure how many times I visited the lands above the Faraway Tree but I do know that I longed to go to the Enchanted Wood and meet Moonface, Silky and the Saucepan Man. In 2001 when I visited England I looked for woods like the one Blyton set the Faraway Tree in and yearned to walk among the bluebells, down the path that Jo, Bessie and Fanny wandered after they had finished their chores. I found 100 acre wood but the Faraway Tree eluded me.

Needless to say when my children were tiny I took the opportunity to revisit the Woods and listen to the wisha wisha of the trees once more. None of the enchantment was lost on them and we spent happy hours curled up dreaming of those faraway places. My daughter moved on to the Hobbit and was reading Lord of the Rings by the time she was eight. Watership Down, Narnia, The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, The Little Grey Men and a host of other titles spring before me as I write. My front room bookshelves are filled to overflowing with the books that we read.

Last year, in our final English class my students dressed up in their pyjamas and I read them books like the Little Red Engine and we all chug a chugged at the right places. What a pity that some people put these classics away when they bring such joy to people of all ages.

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home