Thursday, April 07, 2005

The trouble with growing up

The trouble with children’s books today is I am not a child anymore. I remember of course. And I can still read with a child’s wonder. But I have lost most of that wonder when I am compared to a child and I see not an ounce of what they see. I have taken things for granted and I am so ashamed that I had to grow up.

When I first read Harry Potter I was quite upset that I had to be grown to finally read that wonderful story. Why did I not have such a hero? Discovering children’s books is something I have done as an adult. Most of my children’s books were Golden Books. I still have the tattered things, but they are mine.

In 1987 I was 18 and working in a bookstore. A new shipment of children’s book had come in. It was then that I discovered the Viennese artist, Lisbeth Zwerger. “The Gift of the Magi” was the first book of hers I ever saw. I can remember the very moment, quite clearly. In that quiet moment, I saw what I wanted to do with my life.

The path is not always clear. And I continue to struggle with this dream of mine. The marriage of pictures and words create a world in a little book. I have one published book and it taught me many things.

So, the trouble is keeping your adult self out of your child mind. Create that wonderment. Revisit that playfulness. And don’t give up.

2 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger Megan Warren said...

Luna

I gave up on growing up long ago.
I buy myself children's books and
I read them, I let my son read them but they are my books. My favourites are the Judy Moody series by Megan McDonald. www.meganmcdonald.net
Megan

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Hi Luna,

I'm glad I read H.P. as an adult, Rowling puts in so many goodies kids can't possibly catch (I found repotting madrakes absolutely hysterical!) I'm lucky to work in a library (juv.dept.) and I got to do Harry Potter programs for three summers. What a blast, don't know who had more fun, me or the kids. Couldn't get them to leave. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home